Saturday 28 September 2013

Week 11 - Pinterest Board

The Art of Pinterest
Image: MKH Marketing 
 
I had a really good time joining Pinterest for this class. I resisted Pinterest for the longest time because I knew that I would spend hours online just looking at all the pretty pictures and interesting ideas. I don't consider myself really old or out of touch with youth.... apparently I am. When I realised I didn't know anyone between the ages of 13-19 for the popular culture interview in week 10, I began to feel a little bit funny!

I decided to use the information I gathered from the online interview I conducted from Week 10 to make the majority of the Pinterest board. Some of the pins I added from my knowledge of popular culture these days. I noticed that there was a lot of interest in re-appropriation and nostalgia for times gone by ie. Audrey Hepburn, flower headbands, used jeans, etc. There is also an undeniable urge to be young and free ie. YOLO, 'Royals' song lyrics, etc.

I'll definitely be maintaining this blog into the future!

4 comments:

  1. Love the board Annette, it's a real mixture but so cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good - I had quite a few of the same/similar pins. It's funny how quickly you fall out of touch and have to make guesses rather than just 'knowing'. But then again, to teenagers, late-twenties people (like myself) are positively ancient. I was on the train yesterday, and wanted to yell - "look at you children, with your inappropriately short shorts and stupid acronym sayings! You are ridiculous!"
    Haha the crankiness is setting in, I really must be getting old :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like doing this to people in my own age group as well. What does that say about me?

      Delete
  3. I think you covered it pretty well, here. You must have gotten a pretty good variety of answers from that thread - there's all sorts of stuff going on! My main takeaway from this is that it's not just one narrow part of culture that is considered part of pop culture - comic books, for instance. It's an ecosystem that encompasses fashion, technology, and a lot of other facets of daily life. Though you've focused in on 'young people', from just looking at your board I can see that it's not really particularly age specific - I know enough women both older and younger than myself who would be on board with skinny jeans, for example. Excellent job - that would have been great fun to put together as well.

    ReplyDelete